I’m Not Opposed
To Hydrofracking....


Dateline: 17 February 2012

(photo link with article)



Contrary to what some people may think, I am not opposed to hydrofracking.

With that thought in  mind, please note that this web site is titled, “Do We Frack Sempronius?”  That’s a question. It is not not “Don’t Frack Sempronius!” That would be a statement.

To clarify my position, let me say here that what I am opposed to is any gas drilling technology that has proven to be a significant danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the people in communities where it has been, or is being, used.

Hydrofracking as it is now being done certainly falls into that category, as I have explained in several essays here. And so I am opposed to current hydrofracking technology in my town. 


But if the gas-drilling industry can improve their process to make hydrofracking much safer than it is now, I won’t be opposed to it.

This is the exact same position taken by Professor Anthony Ingraffea and DEC Engineer Paul Hetzler. Neither of those men (who I consider to be reliable authorities on this matter) are opposed to drilling for gas—they are opposed to unsafe drilling technologies.

Having said that, I’m not about to accept pie-in-the-sky promises from gas company representatives about how their drilling technology is now safer than ever. I want an established track record. Actions speak louder than words.

I ask you... Is this an unreasonable position for a town board member, who is entrusted with protecting the health, safety and welfare of his community, to take?  

On a related note, I think it is interesting that, shortly after I established this web site, someone else reserved the title of “FrackSempronius” (that's a statement) for a blog at the same blogger.com web site that I’ve used to create this blog. The person has done nothing beyond reserve the name, as you can see At This Link.

Whoever did that appears to have made up their mind that they want hydrofracking in Sempronius, no matter what the ramifications.

I have used "Do We Frack Sempronius?" to publicly present my thoughts and the reasoning I am taking in my decision as a town board member to justify my opposition to hydrofracking—as it is now being done.

I welcome anyone who thinks I am wrong in my opposition to publicly present their facts and their reasoning for justifying the hydrofracking of Sempronius with the current technology.